Wednesday 28 June 2017

It's not only me that does the wrong thing

A while back I was booked to do cabaret for a wedding party in a posh part of the south.
I warned them that I was an adult act, unsuitable for the under 18's. Oh that's fine. That's what we want. Oh, one other thing, can you do It's Raining Men in your act? Yeah, no problem.
When I turned up it was to find I was working in a very upmarket venue, a farm that had been converted into a wedding/party venue, miles form anywhere. They had a beautiful room that could have held 500 with about 200 milling around. I was to perform up on a low mezzanine with a wrought iron barrier around it. All well and good. It was obvious that no-one was going to be paying me or any other performer much attention so I was ready to just run through my act, do some photos, collect my fee and get out of there as fast as possible.
Then I found out exactly why they wanted me to do It's Raining Men; the groom (who was white) and his two best men (both white) were dressing up as The Weather Girls (you will recall that they are both very black) complete with black face. Although there was quite a roar of recognition when I announced them that quickly turned to an almost embarrassed silence.
Even I wouldn't attempt to black up for a number!

No comments:

Post a Comment